Have you ever seen a celebrity on screen, stage or live display a set of gorgeous, sparkling white teeth, and you wonder how those sets of teeth became so white and beautiful? There are many ways to achieve that. Everyone loves clean teeth but not everyone ends up getting them. For some, the problem lies in their inability or refusal to care adequately for their teeth. Caring for the teeth involves brushing adequately, avoidance of unhealthy food and drinks, especially at late hours of the night. To others, they are unable to keep their teeth white no matter how hard they try.
Now, what are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers, also known as dental veneers, porcelain laminates are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of porcelain material, that is made in the color of beautiful white teeth and used to cover the front surface of the teeth to improve their appearance and the overall appearance of the individual. They are specially fixed on to the teeth by dentists, who are specialised doctors who handle teeth and mouth conditions. Veneers may also appear to change the shape, size or length of the teeth after they have been fixed onto them.
Generally, veneers are any materials dentists can apply to your teeth to improve their appearance. Porcelain is a white glassy ceramic material that can be used to make pots, cups, pottery, as well as veneers. Porcelain veneers are the commonest type of veneers in use today due to some reason, but there are other types of veneers you can get at the dental clinic.
Factors That Affect People's Choice For Porcelain Veneers
- Financial reasons
- Social status
- Age of individual
For people with crooked teeth, worn-down teeth or discoloured teeth, it becomes a thing of necessity to get permanent veneers done, of which porcelain is a very typical example.
Age of individual
Conditions When You May Specifically Need Porcelain Veneers
When it comes to making decisions from a pool of other choices, very often it gets a little bit difficult. Making the choice of which veneer to use or which dental procedure to carry out requires a thorough knowledge of the anatomy of your teeth.
A personal consultation with a dentist will be very important at times like this, so we have decided to collaborate with Dr Michael Nussbaum DDS is one of the best cosmetic and family dentists in Austin, TX. He will examine and counsel you on which type of veneers will be best for your teeth and for your budget.
There are some features that automatically make you a candidate for porcelain veneers. Here are some of those features;
- Permanent teeth discoloration from root canal treatment, tetracycline stains, excessive fluoride, large resin fillings, etc.
- Chipped, cracked, broken, or crooked teeth.
- Worn-out teeth.
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth (for example, teeth having craters or bulges in them).
- Gapped teeth or teeth spaces.
- And if the factors I discussed above favour you to have porcelain veneers.
Factors That Make You A Bad Candidate For Porcelain Veneers
There are a few criteria that may make you a bad candidate for porcelain veneers in any facility. Dr Michael has listed these few criteria/some underlying teech conditions that may put you off as ineligible for the procedure;
- If you habitually clench or grind your teeth.
- If you have overcrowding of teeth.
- If you have poor oral hygiene.
- If you have tooth decay or gum disease.
- If you have teeth mal-alignment, e.g, crossbite and underbite.
If the above are present, you are advised to first consult your dentist to take care of these underlying teeth conditions, after which you become an eligible candidate to get porcelain veneers done.
Where Can You Get Your Porcelain Veneers Done?
Alternative To Veneers For Teeth Whitening
With good oral hygiene, you can maintain a shiny set of teeth and a fresh breath. However, not everybody is able to achieve very white teeth even with the best care ever. In this case, there is a need for some interventions by the dentist. Getting porcelain veneers done will be a necessary next step after you have tried other dental interventions.
A great alternative for teeth whitening is Scaling and Polishing (S and P), which involves the removal of plaque and calculus (white or yellowish hard deposits that accumulates on your teeth but the use of dental floss).
For most people, depending on a number of factors including cost, scaling and polishing may be enough intervention. But when scaling and polishing, and good oral hygiene could not produce satisfactory results in terms of teeth whitening and a beautiful smile, porcelain veneers may become useful if the individual is eligible and can afford it.
What should you know about the procedure?
If at this point, you have made up your mind to get porcelain veneers done, here are a few things I think you should know about the procedure itself:
- The porcelain veneer fixing procedure needs about a week to complete.
- In the hands of a good dentist at a recognized centre, the procedure can be painless and comfortable.
- For porcelain veneers to be fitted, your teeth are thinly shaved before the porcelain is placed.
- As part of the procedure, the dentist takes a mold impression of your mouth to make the porcelain veneers.
- Before completion of the procedure which could take up to a week, you will be given a temporary set of veneers until the permanent ones are ready.
- When they are ready, you will be called to the dental clinic, where your porcelain veneers will be fitted on your teeth with a bonding cement and cleaned after making any adjustments.
- In total, it usually requires three visits. One for the consultation with the dentist on your desire to get porcelain veneers, the other two for the procedure itself.
Please, subscribe to this blog with your email using the form link below. And lastly, there is love in sharing. Thank you.