Late-coming is simply the act of attending to a scheduled appointment at a time much later than the stipulated time. As straight forward as this definition may be, different people still have their own concept of late-coming. Some people see late-coming as going late for a fixed-schedule event even if it means a minute after the stipulated time. Others see late-coming as being present for a fixed-scheduled event later than a few minutes before the exact time, say 15 minutes or so. Another group of people believe that one is not late until the event has started while they are not yet present. In other words, this last group of people see late-coming beyond the time that was fixed, so much that, if they were to get there 15 minutes after the time initially fixed for an appointment, event or meeting, but it has not started, they would still consider themselves early for the meeting.
- Female students go to school later than male students
- Older and senior students categories had more latecomers than younger and junior students
- Most students latecomer's parents belong to low socio-economic class
- Domestic activities affected late-coming
Common Reasons Why People Go Late For Events
- Lack of adequate planning
- The attitude of latecoming - African-time
- No set punishments for latecomers
- Busy schedule
- Tiredness, etc
How To Overcome Late-coming
- Create a to-do List
- Set your alarm clock
- Wear a wristwatch
- Start preparing early
- Leave home early
- Prepare for uncertainties should you be too early
Create a To-do List
Set Your Alarm Clock
Wear a Wristwatch
Start Preparing Early
- First, if your event is supposed to be in the morning, try to sleep early the night before the morning, especially if you are someone that can't do well without long hours sleep.
- Calculate or approximate the amount of time it would take between your house and your event center, let's just say 35 minutes.
- Subtract this time value from the time of the event. Let's say the time of the event is 8 am. Subtract 35 minutes from this time (that is, 8am minus 35 minutes. You should get 7:25am).
- Now, no matter what you do, make sure you start preparing for the event (doing your chores, bathing, eating, etc) about an hour or more before the time we just calculated above. That means, you should start preparing by 6:25am.
Leave Home Early
Prepare For Uncertainties Should You Be Too Early
- Go with a book, if possible.
- Do some online marketing or attend to your online business clients.
- Keep up with friends and family on social media.
- If you can, go with your project book, diary, or working PC.
- Watch a movie with your headset on, especially if you needed time to rest a little.
- Just think of what you can do while waiting, that you will consider rewarding.