PayPal is one of the best and easiest mediums for sending and re ceiving money internationally. They handle transactions very securely and the money arrives in the recipient's account within seconds or up to 5 days at most.
As beautiful as PayPal services are, not all countries of the world benefit equally. Account-holders in the United States have the most access to PayPal's services, while many other countries have restricted access. PayPal Nigeria is only limited to sending funds, you cannot receive money with the Nigeria PayPal account.
PayPal is very popular as a means of sending and receiving payments online and most online businesses use it. I have had to miss out on being paid by one of my American clients at some point only because I had a Nigerian PayPal account that cannot receive money.
That being said, how do we now receive money (in dollars, or any currency) using PayPal in Nigeria?
What you are going to learn in this article is how to get a Nigerian PayPal account that sends and receives money, and how to withdraw your money from this account to your local Nigerian bank account.
There are several work-around for receiving money with PayPal in Nigeria. PayPal is an online site that uses some of your offline information like credentials, passports, etc, to verify your identity. This they do to ensure that you are not a fraudster who would defraud other PayPal users without being identified.
What this means is that if you have the required documents, you can open a PayPal account in any country of your choice. However, this is only possible, or just to add, only easily possible when you open an account in your own country. It is expected that you would already have all the required documents, or you can easily get them when you need them.
Now that you are a Nigerian, and your country is not accepted as one of the full-fledged users of PayPal services, what can you do? Here are the possibilities:
- You can contact someone who can receive the payment for you at some commission.
- You can open a supported international country's PayPal (e.g, US)
- You can open a working Nigerian PayPal with the hack I will show you
Contacting a Trusted PayPal User
There are trusted agents who can help you receive the money while you pay them a small commission, or they can pay you at a slightly higher rate.
Opening a US PayPal
If you reside in the United States, you can open a US bank account, get a drivers licence or any official document of the United States. Alternatively, you can use the credentials of someone you are acquainted with and who consent to let you use them. This also applies to creating PayPal accounts for other countries supported by PayPal.
If otherwise, never attempt to create a US PayPal when you do not have the documents. Your account would inevitably get blocked due to verification issues.
Opening a Working Nigerian PayPal
Now that you may have been able to create a PayPal account that receives and sends money, the next step is about how to withdraw your money into your Nigerian bank account.
Requirements For Cashing Out From Nigeria PayPal
Before you can withdraw money from your Nigerian PayPal Account, you need to have an ATM card that you can link to your already created Nigerian PayPal account. Most cards are often rejected by PayPal when you are trying to process a withdrawal, but the UBA AfriCard Prepaid card works excellently well to help you withdraw your money from your PayPal account.
There are also other methods of withdrawing money from PayPal, that some people have talked about, like Flutterwave, PayPal Xoom, Virtual Cards, etc but at the end of this post, you will be able to comfortably open a UBA AfriCard and successfully withdraw your money from your PayPal account.
Here are some of the things you will need to be able to get your UBA AFriCard ready.
- BVN (Bank Verification Number)
- A working email address (you could create a new one for this purpose)
- Two recent passport photos of you
- Any form of identification like NIN, Voter's card, National passport, or drivers' license
- A utility bill: could be an electricity bill, water bill, waste management bill, etc
- Some money in any of your accounts (let's say #2000)
Steps In Getting A Working UBA AfriCard
I will divide this into two steps;
- Processing your card request at a UBA Bank
- Activating your card
Processing Your Card Request
Once you have all the requirements ready, you should proceed to the nearest UBA bank branch or anyone you are comfortable with. On arrival, walk to the customer care stand and make a request for a UBA Prepaid account form. You will be getting an AfriCard/Prepaid card as soon as your account is ready.
Below is a sample of the prepaid card/account request form.
Supply all the required information on the form. Fill in your BVN and select "Visa" and "Naira" under "card type". Go on to fill in your names, preferred email (this will be the email you will get alerts from), and select the type of identification document you have.
Submit your identification document and utility bill and follow other specific instructions from the customer service staff attending to you.
All things being equal, your account and the card will be ready for collection within 3-5 minutes of completing the form. The front side of the card looks like this below:
At the back, you will your 3-digit CVV security number and your 10-digit prepaid account number (Client ID). You can fund the account using this number just like you could for any other account number. You will also be asked to append your signature at the back for easy identification should you misplace your card and someone returns it to them after finding it somewhere.
After this, the next step will be to activate your card.
Activating Your Card
- First, fund your newly-issued at any UBA Branch or ATM point (from your previous UBA account preferably), or through UBA Mobile App, USSD mobile banking, Internet Banking, Payarena or Business Direct. (#1000 will be deducted as Card Issuance Fee)
- Load your UBA Prepaid Card at any UBA Branch or through UBA Mobile App, Internet Banking, Payarena, or Business Direct.
- Slot your card into a UBA ATM machine
- Enter your ATM default 4-digit PIN (attached to the card leaflet)
- You will be prompted to enter a new PIN
- Enter your personalized 4-digit PIN
- Re-enter the 4-digit pin you entered in the step above
- Then, submit and close the transaction
Once this is completed, your account will be activated and ready to be linked to your Nigerian PayPal account. This card can also be used for other purposes like shopping, cash gifting, etc.
Linking Prepaid Card To PayPal Nigeria
At this point, I assume that you have opened your Nigerian PayPal the right way and have activated your Prepaid card using the steps above.
To link your card to your PayPal account, follow the steps below;
- Visit https://paypal.com and login to your PayPal account
- On the dashboard, click on "Withdraw Funds".
- Next, select your PayPal balance in the "From" screen
- On the next ("To") screen, you will be asked to choose the card or bank to cash the money into
- If you do not already have any card linked to your PayPal account, go ahead to select "add new card"
- In the next screen, fill in your card details, add the address you supplied at the bank earlier
- On submitting, it will redirect back to step 4 above. Then, select your newly added prepaid VISA card
- In the next screen, you will be asked how much you want to withdraw from your account plus the VAT fee. Go ahead to type in the amount. Bear in mind that for every withdrawal you will make, PayPal will deduct $5 from your account. That means, if you have $100 in your account, for example, you can only withdraw $95 from it.
- Click on "Continue"
- On the next screen, you will see a review of the transaction, how much you will be charged and how much will enter your Prepaid account
- Click on "Transfer" to send your money into your UBA AfriCard. You will get the prompt that the transfer is successful and that money will be delivered to your account within 5 to 7 business days. But don't worry, the money instantly enters your local account within seconds.
- You will often receive an alert on your email and the phone number provided at registration of the AfriCard.
- Confirm your balance and enjoy your money
Creating and withdrawing money from a Nigerian PayPal account is this easy. I have personally used this hack to create a functional PayPal account with which I receive money internationally from my clients. I'm sure you will enjoy using it too.
Important Things To Note About Withdrawing From PayPal Nigeria
- Contrary to other hacks that allow you to create US accounts or other countries' PayPal account, you neither need a VPN nor a foreign phone number. They are absolutely not required.
- You need to provide only your Nigerian documents. You do not need to forge virtual documents to get approved. Provide legal information about yourself during registration
- You need to open a business PayPal account as shown in the procedure here
- Each withdrawal costs you an extra fee of $5, so it is best you keep your money there until it is big enough to avoid losing much money from many withdrawals