The choice of a career area, especially a new one is not always an easy one to make. Choosing a career path requires intense analysis, research, and questioning because you don’t want all the efforts to go to waste. Also, choosing a new career path can create fierce competition between the old one you are leaving behind. This means that you need to hit the nail head-on so you can achieve success in your new chosen field.
There is a difference between finding a new career that everybody thinks is lucrative and finding a venture that you personally love. What appeals to everyone does not necessarily appeal to you. This is more reason why you need the right information when trying to venture into a new career path.
What are some things you need to have before you begin a new career area? One, you need to rediscover yourself and your passions. What are the things you’ve always loved doing? There is a high chance that the career path that will bring you to the limelight would revolve around your inherent passions. Second, you need to understand the requirements for every new career path you are interested in. Estimate the potential value of the new career if it can satisfy your financial needs and the status that you desire. In the past, education used to be a bottleneck for accessing all lucrative career paths but not anymore. You can be anything you desire with minimal or no formal education these days.
Apart from discovering your passions, and learning what it takes to be successful at the new career you are beginning to consider, you also need to learn to stay dedicated as you progress through the formative stages, as well as understand the importance of networking and relationship building in establishing your new career.
Now that everything is almost set, let’s see some 8 new career options you can consider if you plan to change to a career that can enable you to achieve your dreams.
8 New Career Paths to Make Your Dreams a Reality
The technology industry is one of the fastest-growing and most in-demand fields today. Its evolution has interwoven into the core of every aspect of our lives as individuals and communities. From areas of software development to data analysis, and use in the home to the health system, technology has helped improve our lives socially, economically, educationally, and otherwise.
If you are passionate about technology, I’m happy to announce to you that you can pursue a career in technology today. The following sub-specialties may be relevant to you:
- Software development and engineering: These include roles like software developer, software engineer, full-stack developer, front-end developer, back-end developer, and mobile app developer.
- Data science and analytics: Roles in this subspecialty include the following; data scientist, data analyst, business intelligence analyst, and data engineer.
- Information security and cybersecurity: Roles include information security analyst, cybersecurity analyst, penetration tester, and security consultant.
- Network and system administration: Network administrator, system administrator, and cloud administrator.
- Product management: The product manager, technical product manager, and product marketing manager.
- User experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design: UX designer, UI designer, and interaction designer.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning: Machine learning engineer, AI researcher, and natural language processing (NLP) engineer.
- Project management and agile methodology: Project manager, scrum master, and agile coach.
- Technical writing and documentation: Technical writer, technical editor, and content strategist.
- Cloud computing and DevOps: Cloud architect, DevOps engineer, and site reliability engineer.
To learn more about some of these tech subspecialties and how much you can earn from them, check here.
2. Business and marketing
Have you ever noticed that everything in the world revolves around business activities? Absolutely everything! There are three sides to every business activity in the world: it’s either you are on the giving side (production), the receiving side (consumption), or the middle-man (distribution/marketing). The choice of which aspect of business you wish to venture into depends on your preferences, the resources at your disposal, and your experience. It is also not out of place to belong to more than one aspect of business at the same time.
It is important to note that contrary to the idea that starting a business requires very huge capital, I have personally found and verified that a business requires capital to start up but not very huge capital as you might think. While you are figuring out which area of business you want to venture into, here are some business areas you might consider.
- Finance and accounting: This includes roles such as accountant, financial analyst, investment banker, and financial planner.
- Marketing and advertising: This includes roles such as marketing manager, brand manager, advertising account executive (digital marketing), and market research analyst.
- Human resources: This includes roles such as human resources manager, recruiter, training and development specialist, and compensation and benefits analyst.
- Operations and supply chain management: This includes roles such as operations manager, supply chain analyst, logistics coordinator, and procurement specialist.
- Consulting: This includes roles such as management consultant, strategy consultant, technology consultant, and financial consultant.
- Entrepreneurship and small business: This includes roles such as small business owner, startup founder, and entrepreneur.
- Sales and business development: This includes roles such as sales manager, business development manager, account executive, and customer success manager.
- Project management: This includes roles such as project manager, program manager, and portfolio manager.
- International business: This includes roles such as international business manager, global account manager, and import/export specialist.
- Real estate: This includes roles such as real estate agent, property manager, and real estate developer.
Venturing into a business or a new business area requires boldness and openness to face risks. Risks are inevitable in any business but they are totally worth facing.
The entertainment industry has grown so large in recent years. It started off as live performance entertainment and became enhanced as digital technology advanced. Television and internet entertainment has taken over the stage these days and this is one opportunity you can leverage for a career change.
Social media entertainment has become a source of passive income for many people worldwide today. And with the introduction of content monetization, you can earn money from engagements from your social media audience. Having a large fanbase with time can also increase your chances of becoming a marketing manager, brand manager, or digital marketer, as discussed in “business and marketing” above.
Specific areas in entertainment you can explore include the following.
- Acting: Film acting, comedy, voice acting, etc.
- Film and television production: This includes roles such as producer, director, writer, cinematographer, editor, and sound engineer.
- Music production and performance: This includes roles such as musician, singer, songwriter, music producer, composer, and sound designer.
- Broadcasting: This includes roles such as radio and TV broadcasters, news anchors, sportscasters, and weather reporters.
- Animation and visual effects: This includes roles such as animator, storyboard artist, concept artist, character designer, and visual effects artist.
- Theatre production: This includes roles such as stage manager, production manager, lighting designer, set designer, and costume designer.
- Event planning and coordination: This includes roles such as event planner, event coordinator, and event producer.
- Talent management: This includes roles such as talent agent, talent manager, and casting director.
- Writing and publishing: This includes roles such as screenwriter, TV writer, author, journalist, and editor.
- Public relations and marketing: This includes roles such as a publicist, marketing manager, and social media manager.
A few of them like broadcasting might require you to have some educational qualifications particularly if you want to be employed in public broadcasting companies, but with the availability of the internet, you can basically start up any of these entertainment ventures by yourself.
4. Writing and publishing
With writing, you can touch the world through interesting stories. You can also provide valuable information to other people just like this post you are currently reading. Prior to now, if you wanted to become a writer or entertain people via literature, you would have to pay huge fees to publishing houses that would type, print, publish, and promote your works. But today, there are several online platforms that can enable you to publish your writing entirely or almost entirely for free.
There are several ways you can express yourself through writing. You can become a blog writer, freelance writer, or publish your bestseller. Below is a list of ways you can carve out a career in writing and literature.
- Journalism: This includes roles such as news reporter, feature writer, columnist, and investigative journalist.
- Content creation and management: In content creation, you can work as a content writer, blogger, copywriter, content strategist, and content editor.
- Technical writing and documentation: Roles include technical writer, technical editor, and technical communicator.
- Creative writing: Novelist, poet, screenwriter, and playwright.
- Academic writing and publishing: This is where you write academic publications. Specific roles include academic writer, researcher, and academic editor.
- Publishing and editorial: This includes roles such as literary agent, book editor, production editor, and proofreader.
- Marketing and public relations: This includes roles such as content marketer, social media manager, and public relations specialist.
- Translation and localization: This includes roles such as translator, interpreter, and localization specialist.
- Advertising and branding: This includes roles such as copywriter, brand strategist, and advertising copywriter.
- Instructional design and training: This includes roles such as instructional designer, e-learning developer, and training specialist.
Agriculture is one very lucrative aspect of the economy that is tapped only by very few people. It involves crop and animal production for domestic, industrial, or commercial purposes. While in the past agriculture has been considered an occupation of the poor, it is no longer so with the introduction of agricultural machines and paid labor. You can own a crop or animal farm without engaging in the rigors of agricultural labor.
The World Bank has recognized agriculture as one of the most important contributors to a global economy, accounting for 4% of global GDP (Gross Domestic Product), up to 25% of GDP in some developing countries, and projected that agricultural development will feed 9.7 billion people by 2050.World Bank. Global Macroeconomy Part 1 – Agriculture
The lucrativeness of agriculture comes from the fact that agricultural products are always in great demand by families for domestic consumption, dairy industries, baking and food industries, brewery, hides and skin, cosmetics, oil and soap industries, timber, and the list goes on and on. Being able to enter any of the aspects of agriculture can make you extremely rich within a few years if you know what you are doing.
Below are some of the specific aspects of agriculture you can consider.
- Agronomy: The branch of agriculture deals with the cultivation of crops, forage, food, fiber, oil seeds, sugar, etc. The primary aim of this branch is to improve food production and cropping techniques. Roles in this area may include agronomists, crop scientists, or soil scientists.
- Animal science and husbandry: This involves the study of animal behavior, breeding, nutrition, and welfare, with a focus on livestock production, dairy farming, and poultry farming. You can keep farm animals in commercial quantities.
- Farm management and operations: This involves managing agricultural operations, such as planning, scheduling, and overseeing day-to-day activities. Roles in this area may include farm manager, agricultural operations manager, or rancher.
- Agricultural engineering: This involves designing, developing, and improving equipment, structures, and systems used in agriculture. Roles in this area may include agricultural engineer, farm machinery engineer, or irrigation engineer.
- Agricultural economics: This involves analyzing and understanding the economic aspects of agriculture, such as the production, distribution, and consumption of agricultural products. Roles in this area may include agricultural economist, market analyst, or trade specialist.
- Agricultural education and communication: This involves educating others about agriculture and communicating with the public about the importance of the industry. Roles in this area may include agricultural educator, extension agent, or agricultural communicator.
- Agricultural research and development: This involves conducting research to improve agricultural practices, such as developing new crop varieties or improving animal health. Roles in this area may include research scientist, biotechnologist, or geneticist.
- Agribusiness: This involves managing and marketing agricultural products and services, such as farm equipment or crop inputs. Roles in this area may include sales representative, marketing specialist, or supply chain manager.
6. Finance-related businesses
The pandemic witnessed an upsurge in business digitalization. Most financial transactions were by consequence done online. There are various ways you can come in to make a business out of those transactions. For example, you could create a platform that can assist individuals and companies make payments for their transactions. This, however, does not have to be a digital platform.
As long as life continues, there will always be a demand for money and its use in exchange for goods and services. There are several points you can come into the chain of money supply and utilization to make cool money for yourself.
Other example; you can also become an agent between banks and customers, helping them to transact more efficiently while you earn your commissions. You can venture into Foreign Exchange (FOREX) trading, cryptocurrency trading, and other financial investments. Finance-related businesses or investments are another career path you can make a fortune out of.
7. Travels and reservations
Travel booking, hotel, and flight reservation services will keep being in demand. When you are traveling to a new place, it may not be easy for you to navigate it by yourself, especially if it is a new country. A travel consultant helps such people plan their trip, prepare them for what to expect, and ensures that they are approved by the appropriate agencies.
You can help people book their flights, book hotels, and plan their trips. Irrespective of what you might think, many people would prefer to let someone handle these hassles of travel and accommodation especially when they are able to afford the fees.
To successfully enter into this career area, you need to aim at establishing a recognized agency that people can trust and like to work with. Much like all others, being able to take your business online is always an added advantage.
8. Manufacturing and production
Utility materials are always in demand. Plates, knives, tools, toys, machine parts, home electronics, etc, are some things anyone can produce. you don’t need any degree before you venture into the manufacturing sector, although huge capital might be involved. But once you become established in the sector, your gains become increasingly maximized.
If you are a multi-product manufacturer, you can strategically produce a given product when it is most in demand and switch to another when the demand changes.
Basic production requires your understanding of concepts related to your specific products. It is always best to first find someone who is already in the manufacturing or production line so that you can learn from them. Examples of simple products you can start with include soaps, clothing, creams, etc. It is worth of note that you can scale up your production as you grow in the business.
It always seems as though it is hard to find new lucrative careers or businesses to venture into when in fact you simply need to look inwards. Figuring out the best career paths for you takes into consideration your passions, skills, interests, and resources. In this article, I presented you with 8 healthy options for a new career path to consider if you want to make your dreams come true.
|↑1||World Bank. Global Macroeconomy Part 1 – Agriculture|
Leave a Reply