Vitamin supplements are popular across the world. The majority of individuals believe that consuming vitamin supplements can improve their health and make up for their diet low in nutrients. And truthfully, vitamins can really improve one’s general health and vitality. The question here is from which source do you derive your vitamins? In this post, you are going to see, amongst others, the benefits of multi-vitamin supplement gummies and their usefulness as excellent vitamin sources.
Vitamins are essential nutrients needed by the body for the maintenance and repair of body tissues like blood, bone, skin, eyes, immune system organs, etc. They are one of the six essential nutrients, others including proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, fats and oil, and water. And they are needed for the sustenance of life and body functions.
There are several types of vitamins, classified into fats-soluble vitamins and water-soluble vitamins. Fats-soluble vitamins are those that can be absorbed in body fats and can be stored for a long time in these tissues. Examples are Vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Water-soluble vitamins are dissolvable in water and transported in the aqueous milieu of the body and include Vitamins B and C. They are often not stored and need to be replenished frequently.
Functions of Vitamins
A. Water-soluble vitamins (B and C)
The B vitamins are further sub-classified into Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12.Water soluble vitamins – NCBI And then Vitamin C (otherwise known as ascorbic acid, which is abundant in citrus fruits).
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) – functions as a cofactor for enzymes responsible for the metabolism of glucose for energy. Deficiency causes beriberi and Wernicke encephalopathy.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – is a cofactor in reduction-oxidation (redox) reactions. Deficiency results in cheilosis (inflammation of lips and fissures of the mouth) and corneal vascularization.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – is also utilized in redox reactions and is derived from the amino acid Tryptophan. Deficiency presents as pellagra also known as the 3-D’s: diarrhea, dermatitis, and dementia. It is also used in the treatment of dyslipidemia.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) – is a component of coenzyme A and fatty acid synthase both of which are necessary for energy production and the formation of hormones. Deficiency presents as dermatitis, enteritis, alopecia, and adrenal insufficiency.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) – is an important precursor of enzymes in metabolic reactions including transamination, decarboxylation, and glycogen phosphorylation. It is important for the formation of red blood cells and deficiency results in sideroblastic anemia, hyperirritability, convulsions, peripheral neuropathy, and mental confusion.
- Vitamin B7 (Biotin) – is necessary for the metabolism of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. Deficiency leads to muscle pain, heart problems, anemia, and depression. It is also an important component of keratin and has become popularised as a supplement to improve the quality of hair, skin, and nails.
- Vitamin B9 (Folate) – exists as folic acid and folinic acid which are converted to tetrahydrofolate (THF). THF is vital for DNA and RNA synthesis during blood production and the development of the embryo/fetus, and folic acid is required during pregnancy. Deficiency can result in neural tube defects and macrocytic or megaloblastic anemia.
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) – is essential for blood formation and the development of the nervous system. Deficiency causes pernicious anemia and subacute degeneration of the spinal cord.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) – is needed for collagen growth, wound healing, bone formation, immune system function, absorption of iron in the body, strengthening of blood vessels, and as an antioxidant. Deficiency results in scurvy, characterized by swollen and bleeding teeth and gums, loss of teeth, poor wound healing, and poor tissue growth.
B. Fat-soluble vitamins
These include Vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Vitamin A (Retinol) – helps in vision and immune system function. It is also an antioxidant.What are fat-soluble vitamins – Medical News Today
- Vitamin D (Calciferol) – helps in bone development and immune system function.
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) – is also an antioxidant and boosts immune system functions.
- Vitamin K (Quinone) – helps in blood coagulation, enhances bone health, and lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Need for Vitamin Supplementation
The importance of vitamins for metabolism, development, and the immune system cannot be over-emphasized. Hence, there is a need for an adequate intake of vitamins in the body. Vitamins are primarily obtained from the diet (a balanced diet containing all the essential nutrients), however, several conditions make diet alone insufficient to meet the body’s vitamin needs. Some of these conditions include the following:
- Alcohol intake.
- High cost of food.
- Inadequate dietary intake from other causes like busy schedules, etc.
- Individuals on a strict vegetarian diet might need some supplementation.
- Side effects of some medications, etc
For example, pregnancy is regarded as a hyperdynamic state, that is, there is a higher metabolic demand by the woman and the growing baby. Hence, normal nutritional needs become insufficient to meet the increased nutritional demands.
Vitamin supplementation, which is the process of replenishing or maintaining body vitamin stores, involves the use of artificially packaged vitamins in the form of tables, infusions, gummies, etc. For the purpose of this post, we will see multivitamin gummies, their special benefits and uses, side effects, and others.
As already mentioned, there are different types of vitamin supplements including chewable multivitamin gummies. StatistaGlobal dietary supplements market 2018-2028 | Statista has estimated the global dietary supplement to reach a market value of 185.1 billion US dollars by 2025. In 2021, this was estimated to be worth 137 billion US dollars, and this growth is expected to continue till 2028. The increasing popularity of multivitamin gummies has added to the monumental growth of the multivitamin market.
Multivitamin gummies are vitamin supplements in the form of chewing gums. They are made of several vitamins in varying proportions, minerals, sweeteners or sugars, and gelatin or its plant-based alternative, agar jelly. Colorings and flavorings may also be added and these constitute a special multivitamin supplement source that is chewable, enjoyable, and convenient to take on a regular basis.
Due to their enjoyable nature and convenience in administration (that is chewing), they have become very popular among people of all age groups, especially children. Their chewable nature and incredible taste, textures, and variety of colors, shapes, and flavors make it possible to chew multivitamin gummies conveniently like any other gummy candies., especially among adults and children who hate swallowing regular pills.
Are multivitamin gummies effective? – Benefits
Almost all the vitamin requirements of most individuals are supplied by adequate balanced diets. In these people, there is usually no need for vitamin supplementation. However, in those where supplementation may be needed (highlighted above), multivitamin supplements may be helpful.
Multivitamin gummies help encourage regular intake of multivitamin supplements among individuals but they are less effective than regular vitamin tablets, syrups, injectables, or infusions. They have a high amount of other substances including sugars, gelatin, and relatively lower amounts of vitamins and minerals.
Since multivitamins help in maintaining health, immunity, and good tissue development including hair, skin, and bones, multivitamin supplements will come in handy for those who require supplementation. Vitamin D is provided by natural UV sunlight. Most of the vitamins are stored in fats and in the liver for a long time. Multivitamins, including multivitamin gummies, may not be required in these cases.
Packaged riboflavin supplements (vitamin B2) are destroyed by ultraviolet (UV) light and must be stored in opaque containers but multivitamin gummies that may contain the same vitamin and more are relatively more stable under UV light. Also, instead of consuming sugary gums which have no additional benefits, multivitamin gummies will be a blend of both worlds – great satisfaction and a considerable source of vitamins.
Multivitamin gummies are convenient to consume and often have great tastes and flavors. They are good alternatives to regular multivitamin pills in people who have a very low risk of becoming deficient in one or more vitamins. Multivitamin gummies are also blended with some minerals, additionally.
If they provide a sufficient amount of vitamins to the body, they can function appropriately in preventing cardiovascular diseases, deficiency diseases, and other functions of vitamins listed above. Special focus should be placed on raising the concentration of vitamins in multivitamin gummies.
Side Effects of Multivitamin Gummies
Refined sugars in multivitamin gummies might contribute to obesity which can increase the risk of cancer and liver disease. Does sugar cause cancer? | Cancer Council
Sugar, isomalt, erythritol, and various other sweeteners and flavoring agents can cause the wearing down of the enamel guarding the teeth. Sugars and Tooth Decay – Action on Sugar
Whereas vitamin supplementation is important for diabetic individuals and patients with chronic medical conditions, the use of gummies is not recommended because of their relatively low amounts of vitamins and the contribution of sugar in the development of these diseases, including type 2 diabetes, tooth decay, and heart disease. Sugar-free gummies are, however, now available for diabetic patients.
Multivitamin gummies are good vitamin supplements for day-to-day consumption. The great taste and the continuous chewing activity they give can help maintain your mood all day long and prevent depressive states. The fruity flavors can help keep you happy always while you obtain vitamins alongside.
If you need to take multivitamin supplements including vitamins A, C, E, etc, or multivitamin gummies, it is important that you get from reputable brands and ensure that they have been duly tested by appropriate authorities.
Leave a Reply