Whether you are just hitching a ride to school, or you are hitchhiking to another distant country entirely, hitchhiking has some great lessons to teach. As a matter of fact, the attitude and boldness to hitchhike are one that, if when thoroughly applied, could revolutionize the life of anyone and bring the best out of their life.
What is hitchhiking?
What Are Some Challenges in Hitchhiking
- Uncertainty: If you have ever hitchhiked before, can you recall how long it can take to get a vehicle sometimes? At other times, it would just take a shorter time. But in the overall, there is great uncertainty in hitchhiking.
- Aborted expectations: If you are a long-distance hitchhiker, you know that your expectations for the journey are not always achieved. Maybe in your mind, you imagine that you would stand by the road, find a vehicle within 20 minutes, get to your first destination, then find the very welcoming helper just immediately. All of those would turn out to be the extreme opposite and expectations shattered.
- Disappointment: Aborted expectations could lead to a feeling of disappointment and when this happens, you turn around to hate whoever was not available to help you when you needed them the most.
- Unmet necessities: Some things are basic necessities. They are things you can't live well without, for example, food, shelter and clothing. When you go on a very long distance, you can only do little to plan for the food would eat, the clothes you would put on, etc, but sometimes, they might not always be met.
- Unpredicted costs: You are hitchhiking to another country and on arrival, you notice that food and many other things are a lot cheaper than where you hitchhiked from, probably where your home is. That is one possibility. The other is having to arrive at your new destination and find out there are living is costlier than it is where you came from.
The Relevance of Hitchhiking To Our Normal Life
- Business is an adventure, anything can happen.
- Marriage is full of uncertainties.
- Making plans is better but plans may not always be fulfilled the way and time you want.
- Wishes come true, but only when you do a little more work about them.
- Relationships are 50 - 50, a breakup is always a possibility.
- There are different bus stops or turning points in a man's life.
- People you don't expect help from, turn out to be the ones to help you.
- Your best shots don't always produce effects instantly, it may take some more time to manifest.
Life's Lessons From Hitchhiking
- Always stay positive; there is always a way
- Recognize that people are capable of being really nice
- Plan for uncertainties
- Don't expect too much from people, don't judge too quickly
- To connect with the world, you must sometimes disconnect from it
- Be confident enough to ask questions
- Appreciate what you already have
- Change is inevitable, accept and adapt quickly
- Patience is a necessity
Always Stay Positive; There Is Always A Way
Recognize That People Are Capable of Being Really Nice
Plan For Uncertainties
- Stress yourself out in anxiety over uncertainties you have no control over
- Keep moving, reassured that everything will work fine in the end